"Passing the Test"
February 2, 2020
Background: Matthew 4:1-11; Print: Matthew 4:1-11;
Key Verse: Matthew 4:10; Devotional: Psalm 91
"The Pitfalls of Showing Off"
February 9, 2020
Background: Ecclesiastes 5:1-6; Matthew 6:1-8; Print: Matthew 6:1-8
Key Verse: Matthew 6:1; Devotional: Luke 11:1-13
"Ask for What Really Matters"
February 16, 2020
Background: Matthew 6:9-15; Print: Matthew 6:9-15;
Key Verse: Matthew 6:10; Devotional: Psalm 40:1-10, 16-17
"Making the Request"
February 23, 2020
Background: Luke 11:1-13; Print: Luke 11:5-13;
Key Verse: Luke 11:9; Devotional: Psalm 13
101 - Discovering Church Membership
201 - Discovering Spiritual Maturity
301 - Discovering My Ministry
401 - Discovering My Mission
10:00 a.m. - Wednesday Bible Study
6:00 p.m. - Wednesday Bible Study - Discovery Night
6:00 p.m. - Wednesday Children/Youth Bible Study - Good News Club
MEDCCE (Metropolitan District Congress of Christian Education)
The Metropolitan District Congress of Christian Education is responsible for the promotion of the Christian education through the local churches.
Spring Courses (January 2020 - March 2020)
- Phase 1 - 1007 - Introduction to the Old Testament
- Rev. Beverly McCutcheon
- Text: Survey of the Old Testament by Paul N. Benware - $14.00
- Survey the Old Testament. Included in the survey will be a general overview of the divisions, times, places - with emphasis on the nation of Israel, events, people, and archaeology of the Old Testament.
- 1094 - Survey of Ephesians
- Rev. Manuel Peace
- Text: Be Rich: Gaining the THings That Money Can't Buy (Ephesians) by Warren W. Wiersbe - $11.00
- This course will focus on Ephesians with emphases on the authorship, date, and the recipients of this letter. This Letter, while confirming the role of Christ in the church, also highlights responsible Christian living and unity in Christ.
- Instructor Recertification - 2097 - Rethinking Christian Education
- Rev. Dr. Nathan Johnson
- Text: Teaching the Faith, Forming the Faithful: A Biblical Vision for Education in the Church by Parrett and Kang - $11.00
- This course will examine the current trends, methodologies, and practices in Christian education to determine their validity and alliance with the scriptures.
- Phase 2 - 3008 - Theology & the History of Christianity
- Dr. Willie White
- Text: Story of the Christian Church by Jesse Lyman Hurlbut - $13.00
- Outline the development of the Christian movement from the beginning of Jesus' ministry on Earth to present times. Focus on the history, theology, culture, and times that enable Christianity to develop and grow. Prominent persons who influenced the Christian movement will be identified.
- 4005 - Doctrine of Salvation
- Rev. Ronald C. Burks
- Text: Great Doctrines of the Bible 2017 Version by William Evans
- Examine salvation from the view of grace and regeneration. Grace looks at God's unmerited favor toward man, while regeneration looks at the process by which God transmits Himself into the soul of man and makes him new.
- Phase 3 - 7010 - Introduction to Discipleship
- Rev. Richard R. White, III
- Text: Spiritual Leadership: Principles of Excellence for Every Believer (Sanders Spiritual Growth Series) - $12.00
- Introduce the believer to the biblical principle of discipleship. Examine the character traits of believers, while looking at the overall examples of Jesus. Study discipleship methods of Jesus and the difference between discipleship and membership.
- Phase 2 - 9004 - Writing Techniques I
- Sis. Shelia Samuels
- Text: The Elements of Style (Classic Edition - 2019) by William Strunk Jr. & Richard De A'Morelli
- Minister's Division - 9910 - Church and Clergy Conflict
- Rev. Thomas Moore
- Text: Leading Your African American Church Thru Pastoral Transition by Dr. Ralph Watkins - 16.00
- Identify and study church and clergy conflicts. Using the unique examples of conflict in their own ministry, the students will discuss conflicts-management skills and ways to bring harmony in troubled situations.
- Specialization - SP0011 - Missions and Christian Education
- Dr. Priscilla Turner
- Text: Guide for Implementing Mission Ministries in the Local Church by Samuel W. Hale, Jr. - $9.00
- This course involves the correlation between missions and Christian education. Students will learn how to define missions, identify mission opportunities, and plan and implement a mission program.
- Specialization - SP0019 - Overcoming Leadership Distress
- Rev. Dr. Anthony J. King, Sr.
- Text: The Healthy Pastor by Bickers - $15.00
- This course looks at both the causes and effects of leadership distress. Students will investigate ways of avoiding negative stresses that will nullify effective leadership and program success.
- WS - Children's Ministry
- Minister Eddie Cooper, Director
- The Children's Ministry is for Children ages 12 and under. The Children will learn how to increase their faith, understand that they have a place in the Ministry of the Church, and the importance of having Jesus Christ in their lives. They will also prepare for the April Annual Session's Children & Youth Night Celebration.
- WS - Youth Ministry
- Sis.Stephanie Williams
- The Youth Ministry is for Youth ages 13 - 17. The Youth will learn how to increase their faith, understand that they have a place in the Ministry of the Church, and the importance of having Jesus Christ in their lives. They will also prepare for the April Annual Session's Children & Youth Night Celebration.
- WS - Teenager - Living in a Grown Up World (Ages 15-17)
- Deacon Eddie Davis
- Text: This Changes Everything: How the Gospel Transforms the Teen Years by Jaquelle Crown - $7.00
- This Course is for Teens who desire an opportunity to study a little deeper into God's Word. Paul told Timothy to set an example and not let anyone despise his youth. Jaquelle is a young woman who embodies this truth and demonstrates the power of the gospel for young leaders.No longer little children, not quite independent adults, teenhood is the fast transition between the two.
- WS - Youth Liturgical Dance (Ages 11-17)
- Sis. Charnese Davis
- Text: Dancing into the Anointing by Aimee Kovacs - $12.00
- (Part 1-Sep-Nov; Part 2-Jan-Mar) Dancing before the Lord is an integral part of praising God. In Dancing Into the Anointing you'll learn about the prophetic dance and how dancing was used in worship in the Old Testament. You can also find out how to start a dance team at your church, and much more!
- WS - District Choir (All Ages)
- Rev. Mario Marcus
- This course will focus on teaching good vocal techniques. This Workshop is an excellent way to help your choir members brush up on their skills.